We’re dreaming of warmer weather, spring flowers, and a chance to get back to the shores of Camp Sealth again…
While we know it’s not safe to gather in person yet, Camp Fire is excited to host the Spring Escape Virtual Event this year. This is an adult-only opportunity to connect with friends in a relaxed, casual setting without leaving the comfort of your own home. Join us for a spring-y craft project, interactive online games, trivia, and causal coffee chats.
This event will be hosted on Zoom – you’ll need a computer, tablet, or smartphone with a camera and internet access to be able to attend.
Date & Time: Saturday, April 17, 2021
- 1:00 – 1:15 Welcome & Introductions
- 1:15 – 2:15 Choose one;
- Eco-painting/Embroidery Craft project (see details below)
- Interactive online games
- 2:15 – 2:45 Coffee chat
- 2:45 – 3:45 Trivia!
- 3:45 – 4:00 Auction closing & casual chat time
We’re offering a craft project hosted by our very own staff member, Ali Fuller! This project is easy to do at home with things you likely already have (and we’ll send a few materials to you as well). The project description and picture is below.
Eco-Printing / Embroidering (Flower Pounding)
Celebrate the coming of spring with a craft that combines the art forms of eco-printing and embroidery. In this hour-long craft-a-long, we’ll transform a piece of white fabric by creating our own print using natural materials, such as leaves and flowers, and add interest by embroidering over our design. This craft is an excellent way to preserve the beauty of spring and gain a one-of-a-kind piece of home decor or fashion accessory – your choice!
Supplies needed from home:
- Mallet/hammer or other object for light pounding
- Flowers or leaves collected from outside
We will send a few supplies ahead of time such as the pre-treated fabric and embroidery floss.
Tips for Attending a Virtual Event
Virtual events can be (almost) as much fun as attending in person! If you don’t identify as being tech-savvy, here are a few tips for making a virtual experience better:
- For the best experience, use a laptop or desktop computer – a bigger screen is best! Tablets and smartphones can also work but it’s harder to see what’s going on.
- The device you are using must have a working camera and microphone if you want to be seen/heard (most devices have these built in, but you should check, especially for older computers).
- Do a test run ahead of time to make sure that your camera/microphone work and that you know how to navigate Zoom. Ask a techy friend if they will help you!
- Make sure you know how to mute/unmute yourself; and keep your microphone muted when not talking – this helps reduce background noise that makes it hard to hear others.
- Set up in a comfortable location, away from distractions or noise as much as possible.
- You need a reliable internet/WiFi connection with plenty of bandwidth for video calling. If your internet connection isn’t great, consider turning off other internet-using devices during this event.
A highlight of Spring Escape is to host a small auction to raise money for Camp Fire events, particularly for Special Family Camp, a retreat for families with children with special needs. Typical auction items include handmade artwork, wine, gift baskets, and other goodies. This year, the auction will be hosted online – it will launch on April 3 and close on April 17 at the end of the virtual event.
Cost & Registration
The event cost is $10, and we also encourage participants to make an additional donation to support all of Camp Fire’s programs for kids. Registration will open on March 4.
Online registration will close April 1. Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to register after April 1.