Job Title Site: Director
Department: Community Programs
Location: Greater Seattle area
Reports To: Day Camp Director
FLSA Status: Non – Exempt
Full/Part Time: Seasonal
Rate: $1500 a week (opportunity for yearly return)
Camp Fire Central Puget Sound offers a variety of co-ed enrichment opportunities that empower youth, staff, and volunteers to discover their sparks, gain confidence, build essential life skills, value the natural word, and be active contributors in their communities. We strive to create an environment where each youth and staff member has a sense of belonging, opportunities to share passions, and a place to thrive.
Camp Fire Day Camp is a community-based Day Camp that runs throughout the summer. They are hosted at local state parks throughout the Greater Seattle area. With the help of the Day Camp Director weekly summer camps are run 100% of volunteers and others run off volunteers and paid summer staff.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- January to July do 5 to 10 hours of prep work. Including but not limited to:
- Meet with the Camp Director
- Complete online and in-person training
- Make camp ties
- Plan projects for campers and volunteers
- Create groups and designate volunteer assignments
- Plan in-person training
- Oversee budget and purchasing
- In the weeks leading up to camp:
- Organize volunteers
- Assist with programming volunteer to finalize programming
- Purchase materials as needed
- Inform caregivers of groups and other pre-camp information. Work with Camp Director to distribute information.
- During camp oversee operations:
- Conflict resolution as needed
- Implement emergency drill
- Make sure operations are seamlessly
- Be the point person onsite
- Communicate with the Camp Director as needed
Skills and Qualifications
Camp Fire recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid employment. We believe that a diversity of professional and life experiences can lead to a well-rounded team. Applicants who do not meet all of the qualifications listed below but present other relevant qualifications or experience will be considered.
We strongly encourage anyone who feels passionate about this work, has a strong desire to grow their skills, and believes they have what it takes to thrive in this role to apply. Applicants of non-dominant cultures are welcome and encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of day camp management
- Must be at least 25 years of age
- Ability to supervise staff and volunteers with the support of the Day Camp Director
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively in a team setting with diverse persons
- Pleasant, positive and confident presentation of self and council
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment
- Awareness of potential health and safety hazards and consult Day Camp Director as needed
- Access to reliable transportation
- Stand for long periods of time
- Visual/auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards of the site and facilities
- Physical ability to navigate uneven camp terrain, including hiking trails, stairs, and hills
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and written
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Camp Fire strives to continuously provide diverse, inclusive, and equitable environments throughout our organizations and programs. We recognize that both access to and success in our programs requires intentional work, to cultivate respect, eliminate systemic barriers, and address injustice headon. We at Camp Fire believe that words must be followed by progress, action, and accountability. We recognize that our efforts will be ongoing and evolving as we continue to grow, learn, collaborate, and press for an equitable future.
Please send your resume and cover-letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the email please include your first, second and third choices for employment.
Date Updated: 10/12/2023