We inspire and enable youth of all backgrounds and abilities to discover their spark, value the natural world, and become tomorrow’s leaders, today.
Camp Fire Central Puget Sound operates youth programming year-round throughout King, Kitsap and North Mason counties. This position will support our Day Camp department, serving our summer Day Camp program at Carkeek Park and Woodland Park.
Lead preschool campers enrolled in day camp, ages 3 to 4 years old. Plan each session with your campers to help them have the best week of camp! Assist campers with group cooperation and personal development. Counselors need experience in the outdoors and working with children.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Day Camp Site Director, Day Camp Director
Leadership and guidance of a group of 5 – 8 preschool campers. Share leadership and responsibility with assigned teen volunteers, providing guidance and support. Deliver our Little Stars curriculum and activities.
- Supervise and provide activities for preschool campers, aged 3-4 years old.
- Plan and carry out a camping program built on appreciation and preservation of the natural resources of the camp site and surroundings.
- Work closely with Site Director in coordinating activities of the group, and ongoing evaluation of program effectiveness.
- Guide the individual camper in participation in group, unit and all-camp activities.
- Assist with all-camp program activities and other camp-wide activities as assigned.
- Interpret to children and enforce safety and health regulations.
- Adopt Camp Fire’s Philosophy of Behavior management.
- Prepare group evaluations as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Able to see.
- Able to read, speak and understand English.
- Able to move around camp and accompany campers to program areas.
- Able to lead small and large group activities, and supervise campers in structured and unstructured situations.
- Able to ensure safety of campers and assist campers in an emergency.
- Able to demonstrate sensitivity to needs of the campers, interact appropriately with campers in a variety of situations, appropriately model behavior and use positive behavior management techniques.
- Demonstrate respectful interactions with all others in all communications and functions as a representative of Camp Fire, an organization that supports diversity and cultural competence and expects its staff and volunteers to act in a culturally competent and inclusive manner.
- At least 20 years of age.
- Willingness to accept supervision and coaching to improve effectiveness.
- Willingness to accept his/her share of camp responsibilities.
- A personal philosophy of camping which recognizes the values which the camper can gain through group living as well as participation in varied activities.
- Must attend and participate in Day Camp Staff Training. Your application form includes a space to document other relevant training you have had in the past 12 months.
- Current Pediatric and Adult First Aid/CPR certification
Application Deadline: May 1, 2020