Camp Sealth & COVID-19

Back to "All About Camp Sealth"

For additional information and FAQs about our response to COVID-19, see our COVID FAQs page.

 

While we know that life isn’t back to normal yet, we are cautiously optimistic that we will be ready to welcome kids and staff back to camp in summer 2021. As we prepare for the summer, we want to be as transparent as possible with our families about our approach to the COVID-19 pandemic and what steps we plan to take to protect our campers, staff, and the greater community.

Our Approach

COVID-19 is a very real and potentially harmful virus that spreads easily from person to person, and is particularly harmful to people who are vulnerable due to their age or underlying medical conditions. It is the responsibility of the community at large to minimize the spread of the virus to protect the most vulnerable and to reduce stress on our health care systems.

While we understand that the virus may not be under control by summer 2021, we will be operating with more data, information about the virus, and clear operational guidelines. The Camp Sealth staff will have had over a year to plan and prepare for running a camp while keeping kids and staff as safe as possible. We will be relying on the expertise of camps who have remained open during COVID-19, as well as guidelines from the American Camp Association and Washington State, to keep our community healthy.

Changes for 2021

We feel that it’s important to be transparent about the changes that we’ll need to make for 2021. These changes are needed both to keep campers and staff safe as well as to ensure Camp Fire’s long-term financial stability. These policies apply to all summer overnight programs at Camp Sealth.

  • Non-Refundable Deposit: The deposit of $100 per reservation is non-refundable, even if we have to cancel programs. Any payments made beyond the $100 deposit will be refundable until June 1, or later in case of medical cancellation. Exemptions will be made for financial aid recipients.
  • No Boata: For both financial and health/safety reasons, we will not be offering transportation to camp aboard Da Boata this year. There may be limited transportation available from West Seattle or Tacoma for a fee.
  • One Reservation Per Child: Due to the need to limit capacity, we are limiting registration to one summer camp session per child.
  • COVID Safety Policies: We will be implementing COVID safety procedures determined by Washington State guidelines and recommendations from the American Camp Association. Known protocols will include health screening and temperature checks, wearing masks, frequent cleaning, limiting interactions between cabin groups, and meals eaten outdoors or at socially distanced tables. Possible requirements for campers and staff may include COVID testing or a 14-day quarantine prior to arrival at camp, or receipt of a vaccine if available.
  • Specialty Programs & Field Trips: Due to the lower camp capacity, many specialty programs will not be offered in 2021, including Kiwanis, Adventure trips,  and Shooting Stars. We will also not be able to offer any field trips out of camp, including for CITs and day camp.

How We’ll Make Decisions

We know that even with the best possible plans and preparation, there is a chance that we will have to cancel camp again in 2021. We will be closely following the data and guidelines released by King County and Washington State, and will make a final determination in the spring. Our target decision date is April 15, 2021.