Day Camp & COVID-19

Day Camp Registration opens Wednesday, January 27th!
Please carefully read below for important details on our 2021 season.

 

While we know that life isn’t back to normal yet, we are cautiously optimistic that we will be ready to welcome kids and staff back to camp in summer 2021. As we prepare for the summer, we want to be as transparent as possible with our families about our approach to the COVID-19 pandemic and what steps we plan to take to protect our campers, staff, and the greater community.

Our Approach

COVID-19 is a very real and potentially harmful virus that spreads easily from person to person, and is particularly harmful to people who are vulnerable due to their age or underlying medical conditions. It is the responsibility of the community at large to minimize the spread of the virus to protect the most vulnerable and to reduce stress on our health care systems.

While we understand that the virus may not be under control by summer 2021, we will be operating with more data, information about the virus, and clear operational guidelines. The Day Camp staff will have had over a year to plan and prepare for running a camp while keeping kids and staff as safe as possible. We will be relying on the expertise of camps who have remained open during COVID-19, as well as guidelines from the American Camp Association and Washington State, to keep our community healthy.

Changes for 2021

We feel that it’s important to be transparent about the changes that we’ll need to make for 2021. These changes are needed both to keep campers and staff safe as well as to ensure Camp Fire’s long-term financial stability.

The policies below to all summer Day Camp programs at Blyth Park, Carkeek Park, Gold Creek Park, Hans Jensen (Lake Sammamish State Park), and Woodland Park.

  • Non-Refundable Camper Deposit: The deposit of $75 per reservation is non-refundable, even if we have to cancel programs. Any payments made beyond the $75 deposit will be refundable until June 1, or later in case of medical cancellation. Exemptions will be made for financial aid recipients.
  • Limited Capacity: We will be limiting participation capacity at all our day camp locations. The exact limitations are specific to each location, check the day camp location pages for more information: Blyth Park, Carkeek Park, Gold Creek Park, Hans Jensen, Woodland Park.
  • Park Use: All of our Day Camps operate at City, County, and State Parks, we rely upon the permission we receive by each respective parks departments to operate our programs. Additional modifications may be required to meet the individual park restrictions. The Parks Departments may decide not to allow group/event reservations; in which case we will cancel our programs at that/those locations. You can find a link to each park covid page from the day camp location pages.
  • One Reservation Per Camper (grade K-7) and CIT (grade 8): Due to the need to limit capacity, we are initially limiting registration to one summer day camp session per child.
  • COVID Safety Policies: We will be implementing COVID safety procedures determined by Washington State guidelines and recommendations from the American Camp Association. Known protocols will include health screening and temperature checks, wearing masks, frequent cleaning, limiting interactions between camper group. Possible requirements for campers and staff may include COVID testing, or receipt of a vaccine if available.
  • Limited Teen Volunteer Capacity: We will be initially limiting teen volunteer participation at our day camps. Teen Volunteers entering 9-12th grade in the fall will now be required to submit an application to volunteer. Submitting an application is free. The applicants who are accepted into the program will be provided a code to confirm their participation and register. Visit the Day Camp Volunteer page for more information.
  • No Overnights: For health/safety reasons, we will not be offering our overnight in the park program at any of our day camp locations.

How We’ll Make Decisions

We know that even with the best possible plans and preparation, there is a chance that we will have to cancel camp again in 2021. We will be closely following the data and guidelines released by King County and Washington State, and will make a final determination in the spring. Our target decision date is April 15, 2021.

Get Ready to Register

Check out our Day Camps for 2021